Wednesday, September 12, 2007

4 throttle (Cont'd) - The dream.

To make a dream come true is my biggest ambition. That dream is to implement 4throttle setup in my baby.. After research and reading and listening and asking,.. It is widely known that ITB's, or individual throttle bodies, in my case a 4cylinder engine, hence 4throttle bodies or short for 4throttle, loves high degree cams, high compression setups, high revs... meaning with my stock 4g92p bottom end and 4g93 head, its financially impossible for me to make this dream come true;
What i actually need is;

1) High Cams (possibly Kelford 272 or higher)
2) Ported and polished head
3) Low compression metal gasket (probably 0.4mm)
4) Rebuild bottom end (replace bearings and studs and at the same time might as well lighten and balance them)

Those are the things that I might be needing and getting them done will cost me a bomb. With much less amount of money i could opt for another solution , which is found by pure accident.

A visit to the local chopshop saw a floored (not flawed) 4g92 Mivec engine. Which is perfect and what I am in need of. Compare this to the list above;

1) Stock Mivec Cams in/ext 285/300 degrees
2) Already has a bigger port than my original head
3) Stock Compression ratio of 11:0
4) In standard form has a redline of 8250RPM.
5) Retaining the bottom end surely retains the stock balance.

all for the price of less than a 2nd hand kelford cam!!!. Plus, I could sell my old engine for half that.

Anyway Ill be needing most of my stuff from the old engine as the Mivec does only come with the complete head and block. Which means, starter, alternator, steering pump, A/C, pulleys, etc, will be retained. Now thats a lot of saving!

The first foreign thing I purchased is a set of Toyota's AE101 ITBs. I wont be needing the plenum though. Fabricating a new manifold to match the throttle bodies to intake ports is quite a task.

The new shopping list follows;
1) Aluminum manifold to be made (4throttle body to intake ports)
2) 4 Velocity Stacks, or Air Horns to be custom made, aluminum of course
3) 4g93T (GSR) 390cc Injectors + resistor pack
4) Intake gasket (Teflon)
5) Toyota Supra in-tank fuel pump
6) Items to complete the transplant - Cam sensor, Mitsu dual coil pack, plug lead.
7) Megasquirt Standalone ECU (will be using stock harness)

Heres another list when purchasing Megasquirt:

2 x GM Closed Element CLT / IAT Sensor with Connector
1 x MegaSquirt-I Programmable EFI System PCB3.0 - Kit w/ BLACK CASE
1 x MegaSquirt PCB3.0 - HeatSink only*
1 x VB921 Ignition Coil Driver

Megasquirt kit has a 2.5Bar MAP sensor , coil driver equipped. need an extra coil driver is to run wasted spark, dual coils.

So basicly, I am running the first Megasquirt with 1.6l 4G92 Mivec with ITB in the country!!!
Thats fun!!

No comments: